Second Life in October

I haven't been writing much lately, but I have been thinking -- and exploring.  While there is news amidst the grids, the main thing on my mind is Second Life -- the 1.0 version.

Now I have been on record in the forums stating that business was good -- still good that is after the announcement of SL 2.0. I am still of a mind that having a new world on the horizon hasn't impacted spending habits all that much. But, to be fair -- and I always try to be -- I can't say that my previous declaration of monetary abundance was completely true.

It wasn't a LIE you understand, I just hadn't actually been working with my calculator close at hand. Last week, I did just that. Comparing January to mid October 2013 with January to mid October 2014 shows about a 30 to 33% decline in revenue. This is just me of course and I am not a big name content creator. BUT there are some other bits of info that make those numbers even less uplifting.

I am also on a variety of smaller grids these days and while they aren't big money makers they do pay for graphics cards, power supplies and the like -- so not coffee money. Adding that NEW revenue stream into the mix shows an even steeper decline in SL revenue.

I don't work for the paycheck really so this isn't a big deal for me, but it is an indication that things might be slowing down. Another indication? I have nothing to blog (OMG!).

That isn't completely true. A more correct statement would be that I have nothing EXCITING to blog. Quite a few designers are on hiatus, some appear to be bored and cranking out less than heart stopping designs  -- presumably so that they can feel they are still working. Certainly, there are exceptions, but the overall picture presented is of folks not quite as enthralled with their creative process.

How many styles of couches can you make after all? How many gowns? How many swimsuits? Eventually even the best run out of inspiration because they have already made "something very close to that". I get in that mode too at times, but since I pretty much make things for myself and THEN sell them -- there is a very different energy involved. When I get bored? I change my location. That simply isn't practical for the folks putting the kids through college or paying the rent.

The other dynamic that may be coming into play is longevity. SL has been around a long time now; many of the players have been here more than a handful of years, some a decade or more. When we were young we NEEDED things. Now many of us honestly have all we can possibly use. Hence, getting us to buy something new just for the sake of difference is the marketing strategy.

Put it all together and much of October, historically the busiest and most exciting month in Second Life, has been pretty dull.

So let's circle around again to the new world (see, I already forget the official term -- old brain cells). Folks moving over or visiting will NEED new stuff. Mesh as in furniture and houses will likely be portable but there is a whole slew of other items that will not be. We will all in some sense be starting over.

Having done that on a handful of worlds similar to Second Life, I can definitely relate -- and it isn't a bad thing! First you have a pristine clean inventory; that in itself is newsworthy for many folks. There is also a thrill when you find "the hair" or "the skin" or "OMG- fingernails!".  Most of us are pretty blasé about our wardrobes, they are so vast. Think back to when you were just out of the pod. Those were good times too. Times when little things meant a lot.

I don't have an answer to the ennui that seems to be going around. Hopefully it is a passing thing, a brief energy of the stars that is dampening our spirits. My best suggestion is to find a new way to create, a new product to mold, a new experience to grab hold of and make your own.

Then again, baking some cookies with the kids is a good thing too.

  1. gravatar

    # by Indigo - October 31, 2014 at 7:44 AM

    I started to phase out my involvement in SL around August. What's killed it for me is the endless parade of gachas and events. In order to even begin to look as nice as the big-name fashion bloggers in all their review-copy finery takes more real money than it ever used to IMO. Even a certain freebie blog shows outfits that must be matched up from gacha machines, and it can cost a fortune to get all the parts of an outfit in the same color. You are the only exception that I know of who doesn't routinely blog gacha outfits.

    The friends I have talked to who are in SL as fashion consumers agree that they are spending a lot more money in SL than they used to in order to have the nice things. I don't have that kind of money, and SL isn't enjoyable for me when it consists of seeing nice things I can't have.

    I find the psychology of gachas particularly distressing. Something I wouldn't buy in a store seems to have more appeal when it's in a machine. And how easy is it to sit here and click a machine 30 times to get just that one exact color, or the fabulous "ultra rare" item? Ridiculously easy. The creators know that, and I don't blame them for taking this route to riches, but I'm done playing.

    I don't have any abilities as a creator in SL, and I've decided RL hobbies are more affordable.

  2. gravatar

    # by Chic Aeon - October 31, 2014 at 12:07 PM

    I am not a gacha gal. I did however discover The Pea (and a few others) aftersale markets for The Arcade and had a great time there. Just wait for what you want to show up and buy for the machine price -- or even get some rares at some places at good deal prices (like five pulls).

    While I certainly respect your decision to play in the real world LOL, I suggest that there are still fantastic bargains to be had in the clothes arena if you shop the venues and sales places. I don't shop any longer but my alt now and then gets some great things on Fifty Linden Friday and there are plenty of monthly or weekly places to shop. I would suggest a personal challenge NOT to follow the herd but to make your own (bargain) style might be an interesting experiment. And I am all about experiments.

  3. gravatar

    # by Indigo - October 31, 2014 at 6:04 PM

    Yes, you're right. For over four years I could pretty much afford anything I wanted, and it was just in the last six months that it became obvious to me that I couldn't keep that up. I know better than to say that I'm quitting SL, but I ended up so burned, broke, and upset with the gacha stuff, even with the yard sales, that I just had to call a halt to all of it for a while. I also had a hard time with "exclusive" items and events where you can't come back later and get whatever it is.

    I experimented by setting up an alt who was going to get nothing but freebies, and that experiment is over.

    You are right in that the only experiment left is to find a middle way. Maybe at some point when I'm feeling less burned out.

    This blog of yours here is the only SL blog to which I remain subscribed. I remain interested in your adventures across all the various grids.

  4. gravatar

    # by Chic Aeon - October 31, 2014 at 6:36 PM

    Well thank you for your loyal readership. I am just "doin' my thang" and letting chips fall where they may. So far on all the OS grids I have only bought one hair (Virtual Life which isn't on the hypergrid). Later I made a hair for a friend that would have done OK. I am happily looking DAMN GOOD in Canada all for free (well I am wearing some new jewelry I made for a "maybe" upcoming venue - LOL). I think finding your own personal game play is key. What is right for some folks isn't right for others.