Day Two - Sky and Hills


Day two began with an attempt to upload my Cloud Party hair of five years ago.  I got the polycount low enough to upload but as I suspected hair needs to be rigged to upload and mine was not. I did upload it as an attachment but since you cannot go bald at the moment, that didn't work well. Not a biggie as it isn't wonderful hair. It would be nice to have a bald option though.  I will put that on my wish list.

I did get some earrings uploaded (also from Cloud Party but with new Cycles textures) and placed as they should be, so I guess that attachments have been conquered.  Ears, Glasses, Bracelet and Ring are the four spots you can attach to.

I did some exploring and checked out all the readymade templates which are impressive, did lots more reading in the knowledge base and made a banner for my Sansar store. A really big graphic, it was tricky to produce using my eight year old logo but I managed and it looks good.

The best part of the day was uploading my walkable hills. Landforms need to be under 5000 tris if I remember correctly, a big number anyway. Mine is 326  and 64 meters :D.  The instructions said NOT to use your main object file as your physics mesh as the physics mesh needs to be low poly. Well mine is about as low poly as you can get so I used the same mesh and have perfect physics. A simple tiling texture (not tiled) looks great on the 64 meter pad.



And 64 meters is bigger in Sansar or seems that way as the avatars are smaller. My landform covers a huge area of the empty building pad.  I am standing in the exact center of this screenshot but I am SO tiny you can't see me. 

I also changed the atmosphere and that was fun until I went to save and it took an hour to bake. Now, that was my fault as I chose the "premium" resolution rather than standard. It is a REALLY pretty sky though. 

I learned about "skyboxes" which are actually 360 degree long and narrow textures in a special format. Since you need specialized programs for those, I will need to buy one if I decide to use that feature.

I learned how to move things around better and teleport within the scene and a few other important things, so a very fruitful day.

I also made 25 Sansar dollars which is about 80 lindens :D.  Poco a poco.