One Step Back - Day 5

While you CAN move object around with the widget underground :D It only makes sense to set it for easy use inworld


After so VERY many tries I returned my EDIT MODE (rules are different in each mode) viewscreen back to ground level. Oddly in order to get there I had to grab the screen with my left mouse button and drag the complete build seemingly towards me  -- very slowly as it doesn't work all that well.

This may be something leftover from VR and before desktops were more in focus. Whatever the reasoning it is not the least bit intuitive (Really? Drag the screen towards you to move down to ground level?)

At least one navigation trigger on the official graphic available from the viewer entry screen seems to be very wrong --  I can't get anything at all to happen.

So I would say that all in all camera controls are the biggest issue for me. Day 5 and I think (THINK) I am good now. I can cam into a very tiny building around corners and such. But some hints along the way would have helped.  This could likely be a deal-breaker for some folks.

The knowledge base is very informative but there are holes now and then, big ones.

****************************

I spent most of the day redoing my uploads.  I had noted that my  items rezzed with the movement widget in some very odd places -- like under the ground a long ways. I dealt with that thinking that it was just a "beta" thing. If there is any info on this --- especially in the creating mesh object info where it shoud be -- I somehow missed it on numerous readings.

So, for those of you that make mesh, in order to have the object rez properly on the ground with the "move me" widget on top of the mesh (oh so handy) you need to move your upload object to  0 0 0 before exporting. The PHYSICS model doens't want to be at 0 0 0 of course (well that's way too easy), you want it to be placed on top of the main mesh object. That unfortunately is not necessarily 0 0 0 placement (oh my).

Anyway a long and tedious day but everything is fixed. Hallelujah.

I also found out from my mentor  that the reason I couldn't get shadows to shift by moving the sun (small arrows up in the sky that you can get to from the Scene Objects menu if you can't spot them) is because the skybox graphic is set WAY to brightly, hence the sun can't shine because it is already way too bright.   I will work on that another day.

Tomorrow I plan to write out a list of important things content creators should know. I suspect that they are already on YouTube or whatever, but still ---

I am currently, as I type, baking a 2048 x 2048 graphic which takes a VERY long time (remember only one texture per mesh :D).

Rules change. We adapt.

Onward.