Bait and Switch?

Now I am going to try and be really fair here because I CAN see both sides of the issue.

AviWorlds sent out a message tonight apparently in the same time frame as this note went up on the Google Plus site:

Now there is nothing actually technically wrong with this statement -- but of course there is a but.  While the land may be free, the "tier" is not. It is -- as of this evening's announcement -- going to be $150 AVs per week ($75 linden dollars). Now this nothing of course -- 35 cents or so?  But still, it is bothersome.

The reasoning behind the decision is that some folks come, get free land and seldom return. That plunk a tree down and call it good syndrome.  I get that.

Camping boxes have been set up in various places (some are working -- some are not) and you can earn $3 per 10 minutes if you are the ONLY one there. If there are others? Well ya take your chances; they are random money givers. I did a little math an you need to camp for at LEAST 8.5 hours a week to keep your land plot.

For some folks that isn't a big deal. They can log themselves in while they are working or doing email or watching Hulu. For others, their virtual life time is limited; I doubt they will want to spend so much of their week standing around to pay for their "free" land.

Is this going to backfire? I am thinking yes. Folks with commercial sims could in theory pay their rent with the proceeds of sales. Then again they need to have sales. With a small grid that may or may not happen. 
Later Note: Commercial is free.


The most worrisome thing from my point of view (and I have already figured out I won't be making any art there so I am not personally invested) is that the rules seem to change weekly. I kinda like a bit more firm footing.

It IS all very interesting though -- and I like interesting.