Venues Venues Everywhere


Are we having fun yet?

This is a screenshot of the monthly events from Seraphim's blog.  While they have most of the prestigious events covered, I am betting there are quite a few that didn't make it on the list.

Like hunts gone before, the venue addiction has blossomed into an overabundance of places to go things to see.

I don't shop. I don't keep up with all the places TO shop. I do note new events opening, mostly from notecards that come in blogger bundles. I am happy to be kept in the know one way or another *wink*.

Don't get me wrong; I enjoy events -- the easy shopping, the "here is my special item for this venue" thing. When I buy things (not all that often) it is frequently at a specialty venue.

I notice some designers in a mad rush to be in just about every arena that is out there. Is this a good thing?  Some stops on the list seem to get left behind a bit in the frenzy to make something for everything.

I mentioned not long ago a downturn in sales (mine anyway and judging from the atmosphere others as well). This is odd for this time of year.  October has traditionally been a top month -- folks coming back after taking the summer off; that ghost and goblins fun thing etc.  Not so much this year.

The lackadaisical nature of Fall seems to translate over to other grids, not just SL. So we can probably cross of the "not buying new stuff because of the New World" factor.

In the scramble to make up lost revenue we have a onslaught (not new - just continuing) of EVENTS (yes, caps is called for). Happily (or sadly depending on your point of view) I think we are getting to the saturation point.

Of course I said that with hunts and they continue. However, hunting is SO not the same as it was a couple of years ago. Most of the shops that actually put out "good stuff" have opted out. There is -- now and then but rarely -- an old time version of "the great hunt" that we knew from days gone by. I have declined invitations this last year. Hunts used to bring in some new customers; in the recent past -- not so much.

So what might be The Next Big Idea?   You know there must be one out there. Still, it has been a long time since something new appeared in the sales generating arena.

I am watching -- as a bystander of course.

  1. gravatar

    # by Lindal Kidd - November 15, 2014 at 7:02 PM

    "Gacha" seems to be the Next Big Thing in merchandising. Customers like the low prices, and the element of chance. It's the thrill of gambling, without violating the gambling laws/policies.

  2. gravatar

    # by Chic Aeon - November 15, 2014 at 10:49 PM

    Agreed but gachas have been around for years now so not really "the next" thing I am sure there will be a NEXT though :D. Thanks for you comment.