New Grid on the Block


As I start to type this post, I am reflecting on my initial purpose of this blog -- to chronicle the move from SL 1.0 to SL 2.0 otherwise known fondly in some circles as "The New World". In fact, that is not what this blog has turned out to be -- so far at least.

There really isn't all that much news about TNW; instead my typings have become a look at the Metaverse at large. Not a bad thing really and I am definitely enjoying my adventures.

This afternoon after a frenzied and productive day on three grids (SL didn't make it into Saturday's line up) I spent a couple of hours (2.33 to be exact exploring the new grid on the block, The Great Canadian Grid.  I heard about the grid -- well there was reference to a new grid that was competition so I of course did some sleuthing and found it readily -- at a grid meeting. Ya just never know.

After a long day of work, I decided to give myself a break; yesterday I actually got a little bitchy by Miller Time and that is an unusual occurrence in my compulsively creative world. So, a busman's holiday was in order.

I went to the website, read through the literature including the TOS (very reasonable except for the "we can change this any time and you are still abiding by it" clause -oh well). I already had the grid in my Firestorm list by the time I made my new account.

Here is a short rundown of my adventures and first impressions of the grid.


************************************

I landed at a very pretty welcome area, a sort of Canadian wilderness lodge. There was a grid founder (you can tell by the last names -- see I DID read the literature) present but I didn't chat him up. I was busy looking at my orange cloud status. After several trips to the Metropolis grid (No Money Ever!) I never got past the cloud thing. The grid is apparently having some database issues and entering the world is one of them.

Now the founders of TGCG had this covered (hear loud clapping here as yet another account that I couldn't use was NOT on my want list). There was a big sign saying "decloud here" or whatever. I clicked the sign and got a box (OK. Demerit for the box thing which appeared later in the story. Just give the CONTENTS folks!). So I had to find a sandbox.

Typing in Sandbox on the map found it. Well you would expect that but happy it worked. I TPed to the sandbox complete with how to build charts that I have seen in other OS grids as well as the ubiquitous script and sculpt library  and opened the box. The top photo reflects my new REZZED look.

Yes, I am solid white with the spookiest (timely on that with October approaching) eyes. Those eyes REALLY got me. The clothes weren't bad but my hands were not good and the shoe base was missing on the shoes -- so they disappeared quickly.

I journeyed off to find A Better Newbie Look.

Now I have a lot of things I have made on previous adventures. I even had a modified Elliot skin that I had uploaded in IW for the sim's freebie shop. But FINDING the files on my computer was an issue. And discovering what was available was good -- both for you and me.

The on every OS grid I have visited Freebie Mall was there. Honestly I bypassed that. I found another freebie area -- also OS based and often seen. There were some skins there as well as some three year old clothes (a typical OS look - no disrespect intended). I explored a bit more and finally found the:

FREE CREATORS MALL.

The shops are huge and very nice and the whole shopping sim is quite snazzy in a minimalist way that I love. Big points there. Now just how do I get said free shop?  Well --- there is a Live Help button on the website, so I wrote to "live help". LOL

Now live helper 1, 2 and 3 were apparently all at dinner so I left a message asking how to get a shop, putting in my SL Marketplace URL (needed in Avination so seemed like a plan) and the location of the shop I liked.  Onward ----

Now this is a new grid -- a VERY new grid. There is little there besides what the grid owners have place (malls, freebie shops etc.) But, while I was trying to find the FREE CREATORS MALL, I stumbled upon the FREE LOTS. First I found the riverside lots (pine trees if I remember, green). It had a fair number of basic prim houses in residence.

A bit later I found the free BEACH lots with only one other house there. I decided that having my pick of lots (and choosing ocean vista) was a good choice. Beach it is.

My top photo was taken right after hitting the rental sign. I got a message saying to be sure and hit it again within two weeks (or IN two weeks, not sure on that) so that my stuff doesn't get returned.


This is me standing in front of my imported linkset Bayou Shack (seemed beachy enough for the locale) with landscaping, my wear on all grids overalls with tank -- well, it IS the beach -- and some hair that I made for a friend. At the moment my doors don't open. I forgot that not all OS grids can use my fancy door script. But I have one that does work on other grids so I'll stick that in tomorrow.

And as I look at the photo I see I need to hunt up my wood texture for the poles. Plain VERY smooth paint was not the plan!  [Later Note: Oddly when I logged in later the wood textures WERE there.]

With 1000 prims I can't possibly run out. And presumably I can make a workpad up at 3,000 meters for importing.

Now like all grids there are pluses and minuses. Of course the fact that there are VERY VERY VERY few people and almost nothing to buy is on the negative side of the ledger. On the positive side?  It is the cheapest grid out there with $5 Canadian a month (so $4.50 US) for a SL type sim (15,000 prims).

There is currency but no cash out at the moment. The website appears to suggest that ability will come and this is not a  "No Money Ever" OS grid *wink*.

It will be fun being a part of this new grid. I have never been THIS EARLY of a pioneer. Now tomorrow I really need to upload some shoes and maybe a chair to sit by the water.

That' the story. May you find your own adventures.