Too Much of a Good Thing

Just like corporeal life, Second Life moves in waves of trends. The latest if we don't count the mesh body and body parts invasion is ----- THE VENUE!

This isn't a NEW trend by any means. I was in one of the first small themed events four years ago. From there charity events became a fad if you can call a worthwhile cause a fad. Small venues gave way to bigger events and onward to elite occasions -- you get the idea. Now there are locations appearing every day. Serephim actually started a whole new area just to keep track of the preponderance of themed buying opportunities.

I like venues. They often come complete with interestingly decorated sims or areas. People take time in most cases to make something special and to decorate their booths to make window shopping more pleasurable.

But, as with many good ideas that come to fruition, there is a downside. The top designers are overbooked. Well, how could they not be? They could say "no" of course and I suspect the do -- often. Still, keeping to the deadlines makes for late hours for many. Some seldom release in their main store any longer.

Lately I have noticed that some of the historically popular venues as well as the flavor of the months seem to be having trouble getting talented content creators to join in. Sometimes I notice because I get a behind the scenes pass for blogging. Other times on day two or three of said events, there are still noticeable missing in action folks. Recently a long standing yearly event had to postpone opening as so very many folks weren't ready.

Now as a merchant, I make sure I am on time. Honestly I am always there when the bell sounds for set up -- unless it is the middle of my night of course. I am almost always one of the first ready to go. This is my temperament and helps me keep calm. I hate deadlines! 

Some people -- and we do have to remember that there are real life bodies behind our pixelated selves -- are always late. That is simply THEIR nature. But lately I have noted an increase in the problem. I can see two possible reasons and there of course may be more.

One is that folks aren't passing up events even though they know their time is limited. They may have been asked to join in by a friend. They may want to support the charity. But even though time is an issue, there is a frantic "need" to be a part or lose out.

The other is that because there are so many opportunities (some open to all and not by invitation) the less serious folks are making their way into the market stream. This isn't a bad thing really. Everyone needs to start and learn. But with the increase of more "learners" there have increasingly become more issues.

I don't have an answer other than to slow down the amount of events --- and we know that isn't going to happen.

Until someone comes up with the next great trend, I suspect this storyline will continue.