When a Grid Dies

I have been a resident of two grids during the last months of their existence. I watched hundreds of hours or work disappear. It was sad on many levels.


And yet, I wasn't angry. I didn't wave my fist at the platform owners or blame them for mistakes and choices. They were doing what they believed was best for them, or perhaps what they thought was their only choice.

Each citizen on each grid takes a chance. We trust that our homes and stores will be around awhile. That is the aim of the company too of course, but sometimes it doesn't work out as planned. In small businesses it could be conflicts among partners, waning of interest, not to be ignored, pressing real life issues. In bigger arenas it is almost always about the ledger's bottom line.

I have visited many grids over the summer. None of them seem as healthy as Second Life. There are problems and issues, certainly. There always have been. But the servers seem to be working close to flawlessly. Improvements are added regularly; no shoot off the fireworks changes, but small things that enhance our virtual lives.

Some grids seem on the edge, others appear determined to make their dream a success. SL is the largest and longest running platform out there. The economy is strong and seemingly stable.

The New World is a long way off and this does seem to be the safest port for now.

******************
 
And a PS added in the eve as I fix a typo :D. The ONE remaining realm is now fixed and while not overflowing with crystals as it have been a few notable times, there are no broken areas and a hud come to you on entry. So yeah for fixing that. I hope it stays. 

I understand that this is money going out for The Lab with not much reward. I also see the realms being advertised as a "come see us in SL" type ad, so obviously -- unless there are changes -- it needs to go on. Traffic has slowed a lot there, not even as many new folks as there were in early summer. Still, it may have a resurrection. I am just glad it is actually working on all fronts: I haven't seen that in well over a year.

  1. gravatar

    # by Lindal Kidd - September 26, 2014 at 12:19 PM

    Exactly what I've been saying for several years!

    By the way, which grids closed?

  2. gravatar

    # by Chic Aeon - September 26, 2014 at 5:08 PM

    Cloud Party recently and one LONG ago and FAR away :D.

    I am sure there have been others. You can look at the opensim list and see that there are many that are 'no longer active' :D.